Are you interested in joining a tight-knit family of climbers? Are you excited by continuing the legacy of the oldest climbing gym in New York City? Join our climbing community, and start your career as a professional climbing instructor.
This is an entry level position in a booming field, and offers you the opportunity to do much more than just sit at a desk—you will be both the face of the gym for brand new climbers, as well as an instructor valued for your expertise in climbing. You will have exposure to every aspect of the climbing gym career field, in the presence of setters, high level teachers, and lifelong climbers, with plenty of opportunity to explore where climbing can take you!
- Welcome climbers to the gym – ensure they have everything they need to have a good time.
- Sales—direct climbers to the lessons that fit their needs.
- Upkeep of the gym’s neatness and overall appearance.
- Provide instruction to new climbers, including shoe fitting, harness use, autobelay operation, bouldering etiquette, belay skills, and climbing techniques.
- Climb. Part of your job is to be part of the climbing community, so we encourage you to climb with our members, climb at other gyms around the city, and stay in touch with climbing news, techniques, gear, and the community at large.
- A deep interest in climbing
- Three years of climbing experience preferred
- Customer service skills
- Experience working with children
- Observant—the ability to see problems developing and solve them before they escalate
- Self-directed—able to see what needs to be done and do it without being told
What We Offer
- Commission for all individual and group instruction
- Complimentary membership to the rest of the Manhattan Plaza Health Club
- Training in climbing
- Career advancement in the burgeoning field of commercial climbing gyms
- Pro deal discounts on climbing gear from major brands
Please email completed application, resume and a short description of your climbing experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.